At The Oakville Academy School for the Arts we believe that in order to experience optimum growth and understanding, children need to take part in the entire cycle of learning:
Interest . Investigation . Questions . Inquiry . Research . Dialogue . Connection . Expression . Reflection
Preschool, Junior and Senior Kindergarten aged students learn best when:
- They participate in dynamic, stimulating, high-quality half-day sessions that allow them to have rich and varied lives beyond school walls.
- Class sizes are small and intimate.
- They are interested and engaged.
- They have many direct, hands-on experiences; investigating in order to become knowledgeable.
- Academic skills are integrated into meaningful project work.
- They have many ways of taking in, sharing and expressing information and learning.
- They have a rich and wide assortment of available materials with which to graphically and structurally record and represent their ideas, knowledge and process of learning.
- Schedules are flexible and spontaneous learning moments are celebrated and maximized.
- They trust their teachers to provide them with the time and resources they need to construct their learning.